Friday, September 11, 2009

Battle Hymn

Mine eyes have seen the horror of the coming of the war
The wrath of god persuaded by a Government that swore
It hath loosed the fateful lightning on the innocent and poor
his truth is marching on.

I have seen the shells descending on a million hopeful hands
We build altars out of bodies that are lost in foreign lands
His righteous words on lips that scream - "the enemy be damned!"
his day is marching on.

I have heard a fiery gospel writ with ashes and with zeal
We have learned a faith thats penitent a brutal grace that's real
Let the hero born of woman crush his brother with his heal
Since god is marching on.

He has sounded forth a trumpet for the human soul in need
He is sifting out the hearts of men who claim his judgment seat
Be swift my soul to answer him be militant in peace
Our God, our God is marching on!

Loosely strung to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic. In response to the original (written during the civil war). Because the original disgusts me. Because the original misconstrues the God I hope in.
Because I couldn't let words like those fall un-questioned. The first 3 verses are satire. The last, something hopeful.
It is hard enough for me to swallow the words religion puts in the mouth of God regarding faith, let alone war.

No comments:

Post a Comment